New California Recreation Director, Skylar Smothers
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Skylar Smothers, the new California Recreation Director took up his duties Tuesday, May 31, beginning the task of becoming accustomed to the scope of his duties.
With a degree earned in Leisure Youth and Human Services from the University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Smothers comes to California with four years experience as a city recreation director in Des Moines, Iowa. While there, he gained experience in management of a swimming pool and youth and leisure sports.
The new City of California Recreation Director begins work with the California municipal swimming pool and will gradually assume a role in management of other recreational activities, including baseball, softball, basketball and swim team, working in cooperation with the California Recreation Association Board.
"I think the pool is good for the community, Smothers said. He looks forward to helping the recreation of the community as much as he can and said he enjoys working with the recreational activities of "all ages from three to 99."
Smothers played sports where he went to high school at Newton, Iowa, and liked the activities of softball, baseball, basketball and soccer. As a result, he has pursued a career in the recreation field.
For more great stories check out issues of the California Democrat.
More like this story
- Youth and adult recreation activities in California
- California Parks and Rec. to offer Adult Fall Softball and Youth Coed Soccer Leagues, and year-round swim lessons
- Upcoming City of California Parks and Recreation activities; deadline for youth baseball and softball enrollment is April 10
- Register for youth baseball and softball by April 12
- Local woman accused of taking over $65,000 from youth sports program
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting