California Democrat Community Calender March 23
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
• California R-I School Board regular monthly meeting, 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 23, at the elementary school.
• California Reds to attend the Stained Glass Theater show "Little Women," Thursday, March 24. Contact Mary Shoemaker at 573-796-2795 for more information.
• Angels Among Us 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. Saturday, March 26, at California High School.
• Russellville Lions Club Barbecue, 11 a.m. - ? Saturday, March 26, at the Lions Club Park. Registration for Recreation League Youth Baseball, Softball and T-Ball will also be held.
• Latham School Benefit Dinner and Auction, 4-8 p.m. Saturday, March 26, at Centennial Hall, California. The cost is $8 per plate. A raffle drawing will be held at 6:30 p.m., with the auction to follow. To purchase tickets or for more information, call Tanya Brown at 660-458-6271 or 660-458-6761.
• 2011 Lincoln Day Event, beginning at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, March 26. Social hour is at 5:30 p.m., with dinner and program to follow at 6 p.m.
• The California Nutrition Center will host Branson performer Wade Benson Landry with "Swingin' Cajun Style" 7-9 p.m. Saturday, March 26, at the Nutrition Center, 107 West Versailles Ave. Admission is $8. This event is open to the public. For reservations, contact Bob Taylor at 573-796-3378.
• Kiwanis Club of California meeting, 6 p.m. Monday, March 28, at the Lutheran Church basement.
• Moniteau County Soil and Water Conservation District annual meeting 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 29, at the California United Church of Christ facility.
• Prairie Home School Kindergarten Screening, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Wendesday, March 30, at the school library. Children who are 5 years old as of Aug. 1 are eligible to attend kindergarten.
Parents need to bring their child's birth certificate, social security card, immunization records and proof of residency. To schedule an appointment, call Prairie Home School at 660-841-5296.
• ACT Workshop for English/Reading portion of ACT Test, 5:45-7:45 p.m. Wednesday, March 30, at the California High School library, instructed by CHS teacher Dana Barr.
• California Rec. Association summer ball sign-up, 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 30, at the California High School Performing Arts Commons. Leagues are open to children eligible to enter kindergarten through eighth grade in 2011-12 school year. For more information, call Janet Fitzwater at 573-796-8221.
• The California Nutrition Center will host John Cecilia and His "Country Ordaras" 7-10 p.m. Saturday, April 2, at the Nutrition Center, 107 West Versailles Ave. Admission is $5. This event is open to the public. Excellent dance floor. Please bring finger foods.
• Kiwanis Club of California meeting, 6 p.m. Monday, April 4, at the Lutheran Church basement.
• 2011 Relay for Life of Moniteau County Committee meeting, 6 p.m., and team captain meeting, 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 5, at the Annunciation Catholic Church basement, California.
• California Area Chamber of Commerce Board Meeting, 8 a.m. Thursday, April 14, at City Hall.
• Pickers and Grinners Jam Session, 6:30 p.m. the second and fourth Thursday of each month at Centennial Hall, Fairgrounds, and 1-4 p.m. every Friday at the Sweet Buy and Buy.
• Zumba Classes, 6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday evenings at the California Elementary School multi-purpose room. The cost is $5.