Rooftop air condition unit was source of "fire" at Jamestown School

Engine 7110 of the Jamestown Rural Fire Department backs out of the Jamestown School parking lot as students and teachers file back into the building early afternoon Wednesday, Sept. 7, following a scare caused by a rooftop air conditioner unit that overheated.

Engine 7110 of the Jamestown Rural Fire Department backs out of the Jamestown School parking lot as students and teachers file back into the building early afternoon Wednesday, Sept. 7, following a scare caused by a rooftop air conditioner unit that overheated. Photo by April Arnett.

At approximately 11:50 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7, the Jamestown Rural Fire Department responded to a call from Jamestown School.

photo

Engine 7110 of the Jamestown Rural Fire Department backs out of the Jamestown School parking lot as students and teachers file back into the building early afternoon Wednesday, Sept. 7, following a scare caused by a rooftop air conditioner unit that overheated.

"There was smoke noticed coming into the vents in the cafeteria," Jamestown School Superintendent Jim Deeken said. "Initially it was very little smoke, but once we sounded the fire alarm and started clearing everyone out of the building, the smoke got heavier."

The source of the smoke turned out to be a rooftop air condition unit that had overheated.

"We're pretty fortunate," Deeken said.

For more of this story check out the Sept. 14 issue of the California Democrat.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| California Democrat>