California Parks and Rec. to offer Adult Fall Softball and Youth Coed Soccer Leagues, and year-round swim lessons

The City of California Parks and Recreation is currently hosting registration for the 2012 Adult Softball League, Youth Coed Soccer League and year-round swim lessons.

The seven-game Adult Softball League will consist of three divisions: mens league, coed league and church league, and will include seven games that will start as early as Aug. 21 at the California Recreation Complex, Field #4 (lower field). Game dates and times will be determined at the managers' meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16, at the California City Hall.

The deadline to register a team is 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15. The entry fee is $125. There is also a forfeit fee of $50, which must be paid separate at the time of registration. (This check will not be cashed unless the team forfeits a game.)

The six-game Youth Coed Soccer League, open to youth entering grades K-8, will begin Sunday, Sept. 23, at the California Sports Complex soccer field.

The deadline to register is Thursday, Aug. 23. The cost to participate is $30 per child.

A mandatory coaches meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, at California City Hall.

Private, group and Mommy and Me swim lessons will be offered year-round at the California Pool. The deadline to register will be based on the instructor and pool availability.

The cost for private lessons is $75 for six 30-minute sessions (one swimmer per instructor); group lessons, $50 for six 30-minute sessions (group will not exceed five children); and Mommy and Me lessons, $40 for six 30-minute sessions (no more than four children per session).

The California Pool is also available to rent for birthday parties, reunions, etc. For more information, call Parks and Rec. Director Sky Smothers at 573-796-2500.

Registration forms for all of the above are available at the California City Hall located at 500 S. Oak Street, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Checks must be made payable to: City of California Parks and Recreation. Forms can be mailed to: California City Hall, Parks and Recreation. After hours, forms can be dropped in the utility drop box at City Hall.

For more information, call Smothers at 573-796-2500 or email Smothers at


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| California Democrat>