At approximately 11:50 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7, the Jamestown Rural Fire Department responded to a call from Jamestown School.
"There was smoke noticed coming into the vents in the cafeteria," Jamestown School Superintendent Jim Deeken said. "Initially it was very little smoke, but once we sounded the fire alarm and started clearing everyone out of the building, the smoke got heavier."
The source of the smoke turned out to be a rooftop air condition unit that had overheated.
"We're pretty fortunate," Deeken said.
For more of this story check out the Sept. 14 issue of the California Democrat.