At approximately 10:30 a.m. Thursday, July 4, the California Rural Fire Department responded to a fire at a residence on Highway O just outside of California.
California Rural Fire Chief Steve Walters said, "Fireworks started a fire in the shed, which spread to the back porch and kitchen. They were a total loss. The rest of the house just had smoke and water damage."
Walters said this was the only fireworks-related call the rural fire dept. received.
The Red Cross met with the three-member family Friday to help meet their immediate needs by providing financial resouces for food, clothing and shoes, as well as kits containing personal hygiene items and referrals to four local partner agencies.
The family is staying with relatives.