In the past, outstanding individual students at California High School have been recognized each month as "CHS Students of the Month" through a nomination process by teachers and faculty. Recently, the Pinto Strong Students Award Program was implemented, and while the selection process is similar, the emphasis will be on the characteristics of the students who are nominated, and rather than each month, the awards will be presented quarterly.
"We changed the 'Student of the Month' to the 'Pinto Strong' Award because we want the emphasis on the Pinto Strong theme," CHS Guidance Counselor Cathy Hight said. "We wanted the awards to be based more on character than on academics or popularity. We have students who do good deeds all day long and sometimes don't get recognized, such as a senior who helps a freshman feel more comfortable at school, or a sophomore who had a tough year as a freshman but came back and had a great junior year. These are the kind of students we want to reward as 'Pinto Strong'."
Through the new Pinto Strong Students Award Program, students who display Pinto Strong characteristics will be awarded each quarter. Below is the criteria students must meet in order to be selected.
Seniors -"Live Pinto Strong Awards"
Seniors who make an effort to make others better around them
• Seniors who are STILL excited about school (no senior apathy)
• Seniors who have a plan for their future (applying to college, technical school, military or work)
• Seniors who are friendly, helpful and kind toward underclassmen
• Seniors who juggle work and school, and do not have an attendance problem
• Seniors who lead by example
Juniors -"Finish Pinto Strong"
• Juniors who are getting focused and staying the course
• Juniors who are involved in school and take extra courses toward their desired goals (Nichols, dual credits)
• Juniors who make others around them better
• Juniors who can juggle work and school well
• Juniors who have made huge improvements since freshman, sophomore years (recovered credit, attitude changes, become more involved in school)
• Juniors who have good attendance
Sophomores - "Stay Pinto Strong"
• Sophomores who are staying the course
• Sophomores who are involved
• Sophomores who are mentors to freshmen
• Sophomores who have made great improvements since freshmen year (credits, attitude changes, more school involvement)
• Sophomores who have recovered credit from freshman year
• Sophomores who are leaders
• Sophomores who have good attendance
Freshmen - "Start Pinto Strong"
• Freshmen who jumped in and started the year off strong
• Freshmen who have made improvements since middle school
• Freshmen who help other freshmen or new students
• Freshmen who are involved in school activities
• Freshmen who show great school spirit
• Freshmen who have good attendance