A local Halloween activity, the Turkey Barn of Terror, is closed this year as a result of an ongoing lawsuit from last season.
Organizers announced the decision earlier this month on Oct. 10 via Turkey Barn of Terror's social media. The haunted house is usually operated during the Halloween season and the entry fee is a donation that is given to the food bank in California.
Lauren Prenger and her family started the tradition for family and friends when she was in high school and over the past ten years, it has grown into a community-wide festivity.
"We love building it and putting it on so we eventually opened it up to the community and decided to do a donation to help the community," Prenger said. "This year, we felt it was still important to put on the food drive, however, as that is the most important aspect of what we do."
In lieu of opening as normal this season, organizers will instead be accepting donations on Halloween at the McGirk Community Building from 4-8 p.m. Otherwise, they can be contacted via their Facebook page to arrange a time and a place to meet if community members would like to donate but are unable to do so in person this weekend.
Prenger said they want the community to know how grateful they are that people are still willing to support their cause even though the haunted house is closed.